About Me

Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia
Hello everyone. Well, generally I am a very simple person with simple nature. I tend to be extra serious at times. My philosophy in life is to be optimistic at all time.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Part 2: Discussion Continued & Progress report on IWB lesson

5th September 2007Continuation of the previous CONFERENCE … Well, we actually decide to work on our own IWB lesson. At the same time, we did help each other in giving new ideas to be included in the lesson. It was merely a preparation session for each of us.

I took this opportunity to collect material for my lesson. Actually, the NOTEBOOK software installed in my PC has got a very few gallery items that I need. I do not know why I have only a number of items while some of my friends have got a vast number of gallery items in their NOTEBOOK software. Since I am developing a lesson on time, I need pictures like clock face and hands of the clock. I need those pictures as separate items because, I want to develop an activity where the teacher or pupils can move and rotate the hands of clock to show different times. I also gathered other suitable and interesting pictures which might be useful later on. Thus, I occupy my time by copying and saving these gallery items to my pen drive. I have transferred the gallery items to my NOTEBOOK software in my PC.
(Yahooooo…. Now, I can further develop my IWB assignment with these gallery items)

Let me further report on my progress on IWB assignment:
After a lot of brain-squeezing, I made up my mind on the main activity to be included in the lesson. The learning area I am focusing is on reading and writing time. Thus, I plan to design an activity where pupils will have to read time by looking at the clock displayed on the screen and choose the correct answer box on the Interactive White Board (IWB). This activity can be either a pair or a group activity.

How to conduct the activity:

  1. After the teacher has finished teaching the pupils the function of the hour and minute hand on the clock, the teacher will proceed with this activity.
  2. Teacher will first divide pupils into groups of five.
  3. Then, teacher explains the rules of the activity:
    * After reading the time, pupils have to discuss their answer in their group
    * Teacher will randomly pick a pupil from any group.
  4. Teacher display the first question with a clock showing time and 3 answer options.
  5. Pupils will discuss and decide on their answer in their groups.
  6. Teacher randomly selects a pupil from a group to step forward and touch the correct answer box on the IWB.
  7. Depending on their answer, an instant feedback page will appear (Good or Try Again).
  8. Steps 4-6 are carried out with the rest of the questions in this activity.

Actually I need those gallery items retrieved from the computer in MK2 for the activity mentioned above. Before that, will be an input session on the function of the hands of clock and how to read time.

For the set induction activity, I have prepared a simple yet interesting activity. I name it as MINI TREASURE HUNT. In this activity, pupils will have to identify the hidden clocks and watches in a bedroom by Dragging and Dropping it in the box provided. Here too, pupils can be engaged with the activity by having them manipulating the SMARTBOARD tools. I am still seeking idea for the follow up activity to complete the lesson. Overall, I am still working on it with a taste of both coffee and chocolate drink. WHY? It taste bitter like coffee when I have so much of trouble handling the smart board tools and taste sweet like chocolate drink when I manage to handle it.

Back to the events in the lab:
Ms. Chin gave us some useful web addresses which will be useful for designing lessons in the classroom.
Below are some of the website addresses given:
- http://www.tutor.com.my
- http://eleaston.com
- http://portalbahasamelayu.fateback.com/index1.htm (do visit this website, you can find out more about Ms.Chin – she is the author)

Later on, Prof Raja came to check on our progress. Prof did ask mine to check on it. Unfortunately, the file I saved into my thumb drive could not be opened. That was when I realized that the Smart Board files can be opened in a PC provided it has the similar version installed in it. After going through some of my classmate’s lesson, Prof gave her opinion and informed us on some important aspect to be taken into consideration while designing the lesson. It is the learning outcomes. Prof told us that learning outcome should be measurable or observable. The changes in pupils’ behaviour should be clearly stated. (I will discuss further on this under the heading ‘What I have Learnt’)

What have I learnt today?

  1. What is learning outcome – “statements that specify what learners will know or be able to do as a result of a learning activity. Outcomes are usually expressed as knowledge, skills, or attitudes.”( http://www.aallnet.org/prodev/outcomes.asp)
  2. Characteristics of good learning outcome :
    - Pupils’ action measurable
    - Pupils’ action observable
    - Action done by learners
  3. “Avoid starting learning outcomes with the words such as “understand”, “learn”, “know”, etc. since these indicate internal mental processes for the students. Focus instead on what students will be able to do, produce, or demonstrate”. (http://www.merritt.edu/apps/comm.asp?$1=40647)


Here, I would like to share some good websites on how to write learning outcomes:
http://www.k-state.edu/assessment/slo/verbs.htm
http://www.merritt.edu/apps/comm.asp?$1=40647
http://www.aallnet.org/prodev/outcomes.asp

Next week, we shall see various groups presenting their lessons. Can wait to see it! Thank you for reading.

No comments: